Monday 21 July 2014

Carrot cake

Lietuviška versija čia.
When I baked this cake for the first time, I was so impressed that I even left a comment in Vilma's blog. That is something I normally never do. So this amazing recipe is from there, only adapted to my baking habits. Now I was making it, I think, for a fifth time. As Vilma also says: you don't feel carrots in this cake, and everyone, who tried it, said that it is very delicious. So, I strongly recommend it!
By the way, the dough of this cake is quite heavy, so it is not very easy to bake it good, so that inside wouldn't be raw and outside wouldn't be burned. Baking time and the temperature you really must adjust to your oven, for example, when I made it for a first time, I was baking in another oven for one and a half hour. And now I must reduce the temperature, otherwise it will burn outside and won't be ready inside.

(For the 26 cm diameter baking form) you will need:

  • 480 grams of grated carrots together with it's juice (or 3 standard 250 ml cups) - you should grate with the potato grate or you can use a juice squeezer, but put the juice back to the carrot mass
For hand grating


 For machine grating

  • 300 grams of sugar
  • 3 tablespoons of sour-cream
  • 4 eggs
  • 100 grams of butter
  • 1 pack of baking powder (15-16 grams)
  • 375 grams of flour
  • 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
  • 1 pack of vanilla sugar (or 1-2 tablespoons)
  • a pinch of salt
Preparation:
  1. Pour sugar on top of the ground carrots and leave for half hour, carrots should start releasing the juice.
  2. Add sour-cream, a pinch of salt and mix.
  3. Whip up the eggs with vanilla sugar and add into carrot mass, mix.
  4. Pour the melted butter in, mix.
  5. Flour, cinnamon and baking powder mix together and sieve into the dough occasionally mixing it in until no clumps are remained.
  6. Bake in the oven preheated to 190 C for about 40-50 minutes. Check with the wooden stick - if it is still wet or you find wet dough on it - bake longer. If the top is burning faster, cover it with the foil.
Enjoy your cake! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment