Thursday 17 July 2014

French pastry - Profiterole "choux à la crème" with curd creme

Lietuviška versija čia.
Profiterole is a french pastry from choux dough filled with cream.
Those are exceptionally delicious, especially for the curd lovers. I tried only the other day after cooking, the cream was a bit thickened and cold - amazing taste!


For the dough you will need (14-20 pastries):

  • 200 ml of milk 
  • 160 grams of flour (250ml or 1 cup) 
  • 100 grams of butter 
  • pinch of salt 
  • 2 tablespoons of sugar 
  • 3-4 eggs 
For the creme you will need:
  • 250 grams of low fat curt (not salted cottage cheese) or creamy curd 
  • 200 ml of full fat cream (30-35 %) 
  • 20 grams of vanilla sugar 
  • 80-100 grams of white sugar
Preparation of the dough:
Milk with butter, sugar and salt bring to boiling. Then lower the heat. Sift the flour and add it into the butter mass while mixing intensively. You must get one big lump of dough. If not yet a lump, put the pan back to heating, mix the dough intensively until it's thickened.

Update: I've noticed one more thing. If I dry the dough on a low heat for a little bit longer or put about 10 grams of flour more, so that later I must use 4 eggs - my pastries come out very good - then they swell and raise a lot better.

Let the dough to cool down, drink some coffee or tea, clean your dishes, preheat oven to 180 C. When the dough is no longer hot, you can add eggs into it. Put one egg, mix, add another, mix - I used 4 M size eggs, but sometimes 3 are enough. The dough should hold it's form. If it's not thick enough the pastries won't raise.

Cover a baking tray with baking paper. I used an oven grate, because my oven is old and I can't control the temperature from the bottom... Form your pastries with a spoon: for one pastry you need one tablespoon of dough - I made a bit bigger. Leave spaces between dough, because it will grow.
I was baking two times (was not enough space)

Put into the oven and bake for 25 minutes, if not ready, bake longer. Is pastries are small - reduce baking time. Mine were big (I got 14 peaces) - baked 30 min. Don't open the oven while baking. Turn the heat off. I left them inside the oven with the open door for a while.

Prepare your creme:
If you use a simple curd (not creamy curd), then mash it. Add sugar and mix. Wipe the cream with vanilla sugar. Mix two masses together.

Fill your pastries with creame, use baker's syringe, plastic bag or you can simply cut your pastries in half and fill them with cream using a spoon.

Bon appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment